In your role as a family caregiver for an elderly adult, you will need to make a variety of important decisions to ensure that they are getting the care that they need and are able to live the safe, healthy, happy quality of life that they deserve in their later years. If they are dealing with specific challenges such as memory loss, these decisions become even more impactful. One of the most important that you can make is whether to start elderly care for them.
Some of the ways that elderly care can help a senior who is dealing with memory loss include:
• Establishing a set routine with them that they can follow daily to ensure that their tasks are completed and they feel confident and in control
• Providing reminders for important tasks such as taking their medications or following through with treatments
• Offering guidance to help them stay as independent as they can, such as helping your parent to remember not just why it is important that they wash the dishes or do laundry, but how to do it
• Assisting with tasks that your parent is no longer able to do independently
• Providing companionship and emotional support that can boost your parent’s mental and emotional health and increase their quality of life as they struggle with the emotional impact and isolation that can come along with memory loss
• Planning activities, outings, and other experiences, even simple things such as games at home, that can stimulate your parent’s mind and help to keep it sharper and more responsive
How can elderly care services help?
Staring elderly care for your senior can be one of the best decisions that you make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey with them. This is particularly true when your parent is living with Alzheimer’s disease. An elderly senior care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that your senior gets all of the care, support, and assistance that they need while protecting your own health, well-being, and quality of life by reducing your care burden and ensuring that you are able to focus on the other obligations in your life, as well as yourself.
The highly personalized services that your senior can receive from this care provider are designed to specifically address your loved one’s individual challenges, limitations, and needs now and into the future as they progress through the disease.
If you or a senior family member are considering elderly care in Totowa, NJ, please contact the caring staff at Caring Solutions Home Care LLC. In-home senior care servicing Bergen & Passaic Counties. Call today (973) 427-3553.
I started my career as an ICU nurse over 30 years ago. I have functioned as an educator and preceptor mentoring new nurses in the clinical arena. I have sat on many Patient Care committees authoring a variety of patient care protocols.
In 2007, I saw an opportunity to improve the delivery of patient care services in the home and founded Caring Solutions Home Care. Over the last 10 years I have functioned as the Director of Nursing overseeing all client care, administrative and personnel operations.
Latest posts by Pamela DelColle, RN, CCRN (see all)
- Should Your Elderly Father Still Be Working Outside at His Age? Is It Safe? - August 20, 2019
- What You Need to Know About A1C - August 6, 2019
- Dad Has a Tattoo—Is an MRI Safe? - July 16, 2019